Wednesday 20 August 2014

A note to my family.

First and foremost, your love and support has been immense and so gratefully accepted.  Family is the backbone of a person, and you guys have stepped up amazingly.

However, it seems there was some upset over a line in my disclosure post, that has some of you feeling like I may have been harsh.  So, I want to address that.  This is the line;

For me, the idea that my conservative family will find out and make a massive drama out of it, is my greatest fear.  But that's a fear based on their ignorance, rather than my own.  So rather than educate them, I chose not to tell them.
When writing a blog, it's critical to be objective and succinct.  Who knows how many people are going to read this, with their own experiences weighing in on the words,  giving their own perspective on what is written.  Sometimes this method of writing can seem cruel or callous, when it's not intended as such.  So, to my family - here is that line again, with edits to show my emotions toward you all when I wrote it.

For me, the idea that my conservative family will find out and make a massive drama out of it, is terrifying.  It's a fear created by my own imagination, and it's untrue.  It's a fear based on my perception that my family doesn't know enough about HIV or how to live with it.  In my mind, this unconscious ignorance (read; lack of knowledge) will bring me pain.  So instead of taking the time to educate them, I chose to simply stay silent.
I hope this serves as both apology and explanation for you all.

I love you, family.

No comments:

Post a Comment